This list includes:
- Inspections which have been completed for which a report is being prepared
- Inspections which have been announced for which planning is underway
- Inspections which have been scheduled but not yet announced (please note, these dates may change)
An announced inspection of the 20 Court Custody Centres throughout Western Australia was conducted during 2018. It included a physical site inspection of all locations, interviews with staff and persons in custody, and examination of documents related to the contracted service.
An expert was also engaged to examine the contract monitoring and compliance work of the Department of Justice in ensuring the contract was being performed properly, and best practices were being applied.
The inspection report is expected to be tabled in May 2019.
Following a riot at Greenough Regional Prison on 25 July 2018, the Inspector became concerned about the ongoing treatment and management of, and conditions for, the prisoners that remained at the prison. He also held concerns about the impact of the riot on staff, and the how the prison was being supported to recover from the events.
As a result, the Inspector bought forward a scheduled 2019 inspection of Greenough, and commenced work on this in late August 2018.
The draft inspection report is near completion and will be forwarded to the Department of Justice for comment in the near future. The final report is expected to be tabled in May 2019.
An announced inspection of Acacia Prison was conducted between 21 and 28 November 2018.
As Australia’s largest prison, the themes and focus of the inspection were diverse for the office and included:
- contract management and monitoring
- staffing models
- innovation by the private operator
- service delivery
- Aboriginal prisoner services
- impact of the Department’s inability to provide prisoner assessments
- levels of constructive activity
The inspection report is currently being drafted. It is expected to be tabled in July 2019.
An announced inspection of Pardelup Prison Farm was conducted between 10 and 13 February 2019.
As a prison previously assessed as performing well, the inspection aimed to see if Pardelup had maintained that good level of service delivery. As such, the inspection looked at all aspects of current operations and services.
The inspection report is expected to be tabled in September 2019.
An announced inspection of Karnet Prison Farm was conducted between 31 March and 5 April 2019.
The broad inspection themes included:
- The role of Karnet as a prison farm and its context within the prison estate
- The impact of systemic issues (staff shortages, assessment system backlog) on Karnet’s ability to prepare prisoners for release, including: provision of programs, availability of reintegration leave
The inspection report is expected to be tabled in October 2019.
An announced inspection of Roebourne Regional Prison has been announced to take place between 19 and 24 May 2019.
As a regional prison, the inspection will focus the adequacy of delivery of all services in a remote location to a predominantly local Aboriginal population.
The inspection report is expected to be tabled in December 2019.
An announced inspection of Broome Regional Prison has been announced to take place between 21 and 24 July 2019.
We anticipate that the broad inspection themes will include the following:
- The role and future of Broome within the prison estate.
- Living conditions
- Service provision
- Operational proficiency
The inspection report is expected to be tabled in February 2020.
An announced inspection of Casuarina Prison is currently scheduled to be conducted in September 2019.
An announced inspection of Wandoo Reintegration Facility is currently scheduled to be conducted in November 2019.
Page last updated: 11 Apr 2019