This list includes:
- Inspections which have been completed for which a report is being prepared
- Inspections which have been announced for which planning is underway
- Inspections which have been scheduled but not yet announced (please note, these dates may change)
An announced inspection of Roebourne Regional Prison was conducted between 19 and 24 May 2019.
As a regional prison, the inspection focused on the adequacy of delivery of all services in a remote location to a predominantly local Aboriginal population.
A draft of the report has been sent to the Department of Justice for comment. The inspection report is expected to be tabled in May 2020.
An announced inspection of Casuarina Prison was conducted between 9 and 17 September 2019.
The inspection assessed all aspects of current operations and services, with a focus on how the prison was operating during current expansion works to expand the prisons’ capacity.
All inspection work will be conducted within the framework of the Inspectorate’s Code of Inspection Standards for Adult Custodial Services.
A draft of the report has been to the Department of Justice for comment. The inspection report is expected to be tabled in June 2020.
An announced inspection of Wandoo Reintegration Facility was conducted between 10 and 14 November 2019.
It was the first inspection of the facility after it was taken back into government operation and repurposed as a therapeutic rehabilitation prison for women.
The broad inspection themes were:
• The role of Wandoo as WA’s first dedicated alcohol and other drug rehabilitation prison for women and its context within the prison estate.
• Lessons to be learned from implementing a therapeutic community in a prison setting.
• Future planning and options for maximising the benefits of Wandoo.
• How effectively are Wandoo women being supported transitionally for their ongoing rehabilitation and abstinence.
The inspection report is expected to be tabled in July 2020.
An announced inspection of Eastern Goldfields Regional Prison was conducted between 9 and 13 February 2020.
The report is currently being drafted.
An announced inspection of West Kimberley Regional Prison will be conducted remotely in March and April 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
An announced inspection of Bandyup Women’s Prison is scheduled to take place between 20 and 26 May 2020.
An announced inspection of Bunbury Regional Prison is scheduled to take place between 22 and 30 July 2020.
Page last updated: 31 Mar 2020