The report of an Announced Inspection of Eastern Goldfields Regional Prison contained the following recommendations:
- Install privacy screens where required to prevent prisoners seeing out and members of the public seeing in.
- Follow gatehouse searching procedures.
- The Department should monitor developments in non-invasive solutions for detection of contraband in prisons, and introduce them when appropriate for use with visitors, contractors and staff.
- Ensure that prisoner disciplinary proceedings at Eastern Goldfields are conducted in a timely manner.
- The Department action previous commitments to change the assessment tool.
- Eastern Goldfields staff should receive specific Goldfields and desert Aboriginal cultural awareness training.
- Increase the proportion of Aboriginal staff at Eastern Goldfields prison.
- AVS needs to regularly visit Eastern Goldfields in person.
- Ensure that women-centred practice informs the operation of Unit 4 by improving services to female prisoners.
- Implement effective orientation processes.
- Provide female prisoners with climate appropriate clothing, like that issued to women in Bandyup and Boronia.
- Review processes at Eastern Goldfields to ensure the timely and appropriate distribution of medications.
- Improve mental health services at Eastern Goldfields by:(a) filling vacancies in PCS,
(b) engaging with WA Country Health Services to allow inpatient treatment of prisoners at Kalgoorlie Hospital, and
(c) allocating mental health and comorbidity nurse positions.
- Offer a range of culturally appropriate programs to meet the specific needs of male and female prisoners at Eastern Goldfields.
- The Eastern Goldfields laundry must comply with Australian Standards for Laundry Practice 4146:2000 regarding wash water temperature.
- Establish a permanent Employment Coordinator position at Eastern Goldfields.
- The Department should finalise negotiations with Ngaanyatjarra community members and use the Warburton Work Camp for justice-related purposes.