Recommendation 1: Ensure that allegations of misconduct, abuse or poor treatment are prioritised for internal assessment and investigation.
Recommendation 2: Amend Departmental policies to:
- require caregivers to be notified whenever a young person has:
- attempted self-harm
- threatened self-harm
- ensure notifications are recorded on the young person’s departmental notes.
Recommendation 3: Ensure that all uses of physical and mechanical restraints are recorded, including those prescribed in a plan, and that the records include reasons for their use.
Recommendation 4: Ensure that any removal of a young person’s bedding from cell occurs only when the young person is at risk or in a short term holding cell, and that both the removal and reason for the removal are recorded.
Recommendation 5: Amend the Young Offenders Act 1994 and the Young Offenders Regulations 1995 by:
- repealing the provisions governing ‘confinement’;
- enacting a framework for managing special regimes such as the ISU, including adequate protections for young people; and
- ensuring that all young people are entitled to a minimum of two hours out of cell each day.